datestampUSESunday, February 10, 2008

Smiley Family Home Evening

Although my family (The Smileys) has lived all across the country, including Washington, Michigan, Oregon, and Wyoming - somehow the stars have all aligned in the past couple of years and we are fortunate enough to live within 60 miles of one another (all 6 children). We get together once a month for dinner and a family meeting and this has become such a wonderful tradition (and a huge hosting obligation because our numbers have reached over 30)! Tonight it was at Scott and Lisa's and we had a great sampling of international dishes.
There are several recipes from that meal I've got to get...perhaps Scott and Lisa would be my guest bloggers and share their recipes :-) ? (Look at me saying "guest blogger" like I'm all OFFICIAL or something.) The food was great and the company was better - or was the company great but the food better? Anyway, here is the recipe for my tasty and trusty Greek Salad. It's a longtime favorite (thanks Kari).

-amr

Greek Salad
Dressing:
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
3/4 c. vegetable oil
4 Tbs. lemon juice
3 cloves garlic, crushed

Mix dressing and let stand for 3 hours. Toss with salad just before serving.

Salad:
2 heads Romaine
bacon, crumbled
parmesan cheese, grated
(feta or swiss is also delicious)
slivered almonds
avocados
cherry tomatoes, halved

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't tell you how reading your blog makes me want to be a part of the Smiley traditional anythings. I have the best memories of your family and the hugs that your mom would give me when we would walk into your door as young girls. :)

Kari said...

Ooohhhh ... haven't made that one in a while!! Steve always complains that I only make it when we have to take a salad someplace :) Maybe I should surprise him for Valentine's Day!! Thanks for the idea ;) Glad to know you still enjoy it! Wonder if the stars would ever align for our family to develop some type of tradition?!

Kasey said...

This is also OUR favorite greek salad, thanks to Kari. I distinctly remember making this with Kenny and Kathy in Palm Springs about, oh, 12 years ago! We take this to parties and people ALWAYS ask for the recipe.