datestampUSEWednesday, February 13, 2008

Last Minute Valentine Craft

Some of my favorite blogs have simple tutorials on them, so I've decided to share one of my favorite projects here: Patch Applique T's. They are fairly simple and utterly stylish. Of course, these are the ones I made for the girls for Valentines day.

1. Cut your design out of scrap fabrics - I chose a heart with a stem and a leaf
2. Place design onto a sheet of Wonder Under (which is available at any fabric store) and iron on your design (*Be sure and place a rag or scrap piece of paper between the iron and the fabric design so as not to get the glue from the Wonder Under on your iron. You may even want to place a fabric onto your ironing board so you don't get any glue on your ironing board cover.)
3. So the layers are this from bottom to top: rag, Wonder Under, fabric design, rag, iron.
4. Now that the fabric and the Wonder Under are sealed together (fabric on top), peel off the back side of the Wonder Under (on the back of your design) and iron the actual design onto the t-shirt. You will be ironing on the top (right side out) of the fabric straight onto the t-shirt.
4. Reinforce the design by sewing your newly made fabric patch on the t-shirt using a zig-zag stitch around the perimeter of the design.

I didn't even buy new t's to make these -I just used two stripe t's the girls already had. You could do this for any holiday - a green shamrock for St. Patricks Day, a bunny for Easter, a cupcake and candle for their birthday, you get the drift...Have fun and feel free to ask any questions. (And a special thanks to Kim for her help.)

-amr

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Those are so cute. Thanks for sharing the how-to, also. I am wondering if you do any crafty stuff like this for Max? What to do with two boys??? :)

Kari said...

Love, love these!! Thanks for the awesome tutorial :) I really need to dabble more in the fabric crafts - I usually stick to paper! My poor sewing machine has been used for very few projects ... I could probably count them on 2 hands (or maybe 1) *blush* I don't know how you find the time!! My girls got sparkly heart t's from Target this year ;) But I did finish their Valentine's last night and will be posting pics soon ... I have a YW activity tonight (did I tell you I got called into the stake YW presidency - secretary - on Sunday?) so maybe LATE tonight ... as is my norm ;)

Anna Marie said...

Marcy - do you get the mini boden catalog? If so, go find their t-shirts and you will see you can do this for boys too! I have to admit I poached the idea from them. I plan on making Max one that has the earth on it or the Reduce, Reuse, Recycle symbol. I recently bought him the alligator long sleeved one - but I choose to make the ones that are much more simple is design.