datestampUSEMonday, February 9, 2009

Lemon Curd

Our annual spring break trip to Palm Springs is right around the corner, but I just couldn't wait. Last year all the gorgeous lemons hanging from the trees inspired me to WANT lemon curd, but I never ended up making it. As I was cleaning out the freezer to make room for my latest Costco trip, I came across some lemon juice I had frozen from those desert lemons. Couple that with a trip to Elizabeth's English tea shoppe with Ella (scones on the menu of course) and color me lemon yellow - I was inspired again! Yesterday, while the kids were finishing up some weekend projects, I stood over the stove and whisked myself into pure lemony satisfaction. It was surprisingly easy and absolutely delicious. Here's the recipe I used:
  • 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh lemon zest
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into bits

Whisk together juice, zest, sugar, and eggs in a 2-quart heavy saucepan. Stir in butter and cook over moderately low heat, whisking frequently, until curd is thick enough to hold marks of whisk and first bubble appears on surface, about 6 minutes.

Transfer lemon curd to a bowl and chill, its surface covered with plastic wrap, until cold, at least 1 hour.

P.S. Four of these little jars are perfect for a double batch. I found them at my local grocery store.

2 comments:

Hart Family said...

I am sitting here with my mouth watering, literally! Leave it to you girl to come up with something like that.

Kari said...

We'll be in PS in just a few weeks ... will think of you when I see the lemons now!