datestampUSEThursday, February 12, 2009

A Brief Valentine Dissertation

In response to a few e-mails from some of my inquisitive friends about valentines...I thought I'd share picture proof of the simple-straight-from-the-store-non-creative-non-homemade valentines my children are exchanging. Yes its true - a handmade mama like myself had to draw the line somewhere. And this is why:

For years the girls and I would spend hours creating handmade valentines that they were proud and excited to make and share. But when they would bring their valentines home from their classmates, I noticed they would madly rip and tear through each valentine hardly taking a moment to note who it was from just to get to the candy. (Can you believe my own children would be so inconsiderate:) Once Max started school and up'ed our valentine total to nearly 100 I knew it was time to call it quits. Now, this is not to say we'll never do handmade valentines. I always try to make time for the children to express their creativity if they have a strong desire; but I generally use my powers of motherly persuasion to sway the creativity towards their valentine box or other special treats for their teachers or our neighbors. (Of course, you know I'll share some of those later:) Simply stated, I've found our creative time allowance is more wisely spent on those who know how to fully appreciate.

* Authors note
Please notice however, that I am not entirely giving into the mass marketing ploy to purchase cheesy "character" valentines. This year we went with the classic Necco conversation hearts:)

1 comment:

Kari said...

I should have read this before I stayed up all night making valentines (because I put it off too long to do it during daylight hours with the help of my children)!