datestampUSETuesday, July 15, 2008

C-O-D-Y





I have to be honest - it's a little overwhelming to write a post on my hometown and the memorable and cherished moments it has provided me my entire life and now does the same for my children. Most know that I am from the best little western town in the entire country, Cody, Wyoming. It was a wonderful place to grow up and provided me with the best childhood I could ever imagine. Summers were especially exciting because the town doubled in size with tourists from all across the world coming to experience Yellowstone National Park. Now each summer I get to go back and be one of those tourists and experience all Cody has to offer AND share it with my family. Of course, many of our experiences are not available to the public - only to those who either are or know and love the Smiley Family.

Each visit to Cody includes a trip to our cabin up the near the Wood River. It is always such a highlight of the trip and the kids eat up every minute of it. Poor grandpa has a little family of ducklings who follow him around ALL day, usually asking for rides in the truck or on the horses, Buck and Bandit. Sometimes we paint river rocks or fish in the pond. Add in a campfire, smores, lasso golf, 4 wheeling, and hiking and we've indulged delightfully into pure Wyoming bliss.

Cody is known all across the state for its fabulous 4th of July celebration. I've only missed it twice in all my 33 years - once I was pregnant and delivering within 3 weeks and the other because my parents were in Pakistan serving a mission for our church. Each 4th of July celebration includes an outdoor breakfast (homemade ice cream on pancakes; now who can pass that up?) and flag raising ceremony, a parade, a serious rodeo (we're talking REAL rodeo here, folks - even occasionally televised on ESPN), a BBQ, and of course a fireworks show. If you're really adventurous, you can sneak in a river rafting trip, a trip to our world famous museum, or a swim in the amazing new rec center.

In this small town girl's humble opinion, a person hasn't lived fully lived until they've experienced a warm July day in Cody, Wyoming. Click here if you want to see the rest of our trip this summer. Oh, and if you ever plan on going, drop me a line and I'll give you the address of the best meal in town (my parents' house).

-amr

No comments: