datestampUSESunday, October 19, 2008

Day 26: 30 Days of Balance

I have recently been inspired by a Salt Lake City icon, Pamela Atkinson. Her work on behalf of the homeless and other vulnerable groups are the stuff of local legend. She lives in my neighborhood and we've often had the opportunity to hear her speak. Her ideas and experience with helping the less fortunate members of the community are simple and yet very powerful. Following her advice and pleas for the needy, we have recently been gathering items in my home and shopping for supplies for donation to help set up refugee homes, aid lower income schools, and simply clean and feed individuals who have fallen into difficult circumstances. Couple this with the article I read in the Salt Lake Tribune this morning on the growing demand for more food in the food banks, and we have plenty of opportunities to step outside ourselves and give give give. I am constantly trying to find ways to incorporate an attitude of service into my life so it comes to me more naturally. Unfortunately, I tend to give my focus and attention to my own little brood - not always looking outside to see where help is needed. I am hoping to carry on a more selfless approach, not only through the holidays, but into next year as well...and the next and the next. Keep me on track, will you? Oh, and find a charity or food bank that needs your help and donate a little too.

-amr

p.s. I forgot to explain my photo. How perfect that we happen to have LOADS of travel size and hotel shampoos and soaps in all drawers of my bathroom? Pamela tells us they are perfect for many of the homeless who get a chance to clean up at a shelter, but don't have the room to pack around the full size. Bryce has been diligently stocking up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder of things we can and should do. oxoxox

Kari said...

Oh, this is such a wonderful reminder!! I know there are opportunities all around - especially in the difficult circumstances of today - to offer a helping hand. Our ward is collecting for many similar agencies. I, too, find it difficult to see past my own family at times but have had a few instances recently where I have been moved to step outside myself and have been reminded what a powerful experience it is to listen to the spirit's guidance and take that all-too-often missed opportunity.