datestampUSESunday, December 28, 2008

Our Crystal Ball...Sort of


We spent our evening writing our list of predictions for 2009. It is one of our favorite holiday traditions that we have done since our very first Christmas as newlyweds. I keep the list tucked away in our Christmas journal and after we've written them, the list is put away with the decorations until we pull it all out the next year. We're always eager to dig them up and see how close we were on our guesses. I have a nice little stack now dating back to 1996 and I love to see how our life decisions and circumstances have changed throughout the years. They started with predictions of what jobs we would have, what college class we would pass/fail that year, if we would move, if we would we have a baby, and on and on...

Now of course the kids have snuck into the process and like to include such things as:

"David Archuletta will come to our church and speak on sharing one's talents and then he will sing for us." (I've tried to explain to the girls the difference between a prediction and a wish but its not sinking in.)

Our predictions are sometimes funny, sometimes personal, sometimes motivating, or sometimes just straight out of left field. If your family hasn't done something like this in the past, I'm here to say, "Go for it...do it." It is time well spent. Next year you'll be glad you did.

4 comments:

Jen Bird said...

I just thought I'd leave a comment to say how much I enjoy your blog! My sister-in-law is Kami Su Bird (Jackson) and she told me about your blog and I love to check in on it!! You're very creative and it's very uplifting to read! So thanks for all your great ideas and posts! :)

Kari said...

I've always loved that you guys do that! Still haven't done it myself but hope to incorporate it sometime ....

Kari said...

P.S. Did you have any predictions about our little family this past year? Did they come true? Do tell ;)

Anna Marie said...

Jen thanks so much. I love aquainting myself with "friends of friends." Anyone related to Kami Su is a friend of mine. Cheers!