datestampUSEFriday, March 6, 2009

An Eater's Manifesto

"You don't need to fathom a carrot's complexity in order to reap its benefits."
Michael Pollan

I just finished reading Michael Pollan's "In Defense of Food." I found it fascinating and enlightening. When push comes to shove, the food industry is really just that - an industry - a business with revenue on the brain. Much of what he spoke was common sense, just presented in a scientific (and somehow) philosophic way. His simple summary is this: "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly Plants." Now, I've got to get this square foot garden idea hatching...(DAD!)

1 comment:

Iv said...

I LOVED this book. Although, I don't love the new requisite guilt when I see my kids eating something that I now recognize as not being "real food." That 6 ingredient rule is killing me. Between that book and the Sneaky Chef, we are eating much more healthy, home-prepared, whole foods! My kids actually think it's fun to sprinkle flax seed on everything right now...we'll see how long that lasts.