datestampUSESunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mothers Day

When I was in elementary school, I won a Mother’s Day Essay contest and was able to take my mom to a Mother’s Day brunch. I cannot recall what I said in that essay, but I’m sure I was naïve enough to believe that I could actually write something that might capture my mother in words. Twenty-five or so years later, I know to embrace that fact that no mother will ever be accurately described or appreciated in mere words. That said, as mother myself I know that words are the most sincere, precious and often the most treasured of all gifts – especially when they are taken straight from the heart and placed onto paper. My humble attempt at a motherly tribute this year goes as follows:

Mom, thank you for…

One-ringers
Teaching me to make homemade chicken noodle soup
Clapping the rhythm over my shoulder during piano practice
Being the queen bee
Not wasting anything, ever
Teaching me to love a good book
Taking care of me after all my babies
Shopping trips to Billings
Insisting on a good education
Your indescribable work ethic
Little surprises in the mail
Countless drives to Lovell
Changing Pakistani lives forever
Implementing the best family traditions
No “store-boughten” bread
Being the best possible wife to dad
Hi-Lighting the T.V. guide
Being everyone’s favorite Cowley girl
Sewing doll clothes for your granddaughters
Loving a bargain
Scones and tomato juice
Nurturing the neighborhood
Balancing Grandma’s checkbook
Your rock solid testimony

I love you.

-amr

6 comments:

Unknown said...

That was beautiful, Anna! I agree...your mom is an incredible lady! Happy Mother's Day! :)

Anonymous said...

You make me sound so good. Thank you for that very nice tribute. Only a mother knows the love one has for their children. oxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Now you are definately "the favorite"! What a great tribute to your mom.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Anna Marie: That was GREAT!

jss said...

Rie-

You rock! Hard!

-JSS

Kari said...

That was a great tribute!! I love your mom ... even if I haven't seen her in YEARS!!!!