datestampUSETuesday, August 11, 2009

Cookie of the Week

We tried out a bar cookie recipe this week. By the end of the day the entire pan was gone so I consider them a success (yes we shared, but only a few...). These would be perfect to pack in the kids' school lunch because they're homey and hearty. Another one to add to the files.

Squirrel Bars

1/2 c. peanut butter
1/3 c. butter
3/4 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. sugar
2 eggs

2 tsp. vanilla

1 c. flour (shhh...don't tell the fam, but I used 100% wheat flour to add a little whole grain.)

1 tsp. baking powder
6 oz. chocolate chips

Mix together first four ingredients. Add eggs and vanilla. Stir in flour and baking powder. Spread mixture in a greased 9"x13" pan. Sprinkle chips on top. Bake 3 minutes at 350 degrees. Take out and marbleize. Return to oven for another 25-30 minutes. Cool and cut into bars.

3 comments:

Chris Smiley said...

I love a new treat (especially the sneaky delicious type) I can send the kids to school with. I read somewhere that an adult can tell how life is for a kid at home if there is a home made treat in their school lunch. If I am feeling like I need to work on my "mom" skills, I add a home made treat and feel better immediately!

Kari said...

Yeah ... those sound pretty darn D*lish!

mom said...

I am going to try those Anna Marie they sound so good. oxox mom